Share Shed Members’ Agreement and Items Policy
- Members must be age 18 or over to borrow items from the Share Shed. The Share Shed will be referred to as “SS” for the purpose of this Agreement.
- Only Members of the SS are eligible to borrow items. Prior to borrowing items, all Members must (a) complete a Membership Application Form; (b) agree the Liability Waiver and Indemnification Form; (c) have their residence confirmed by a SS volunteer or member of the staff; and (d) Make a donation towards their annual membership.
- Items have a fee for borrowing, which refers to a week-long loan, and must be paid prior to borrowing things from the SS. Borrowing fees pay for items maintenance, replacement parts, new tools and upkeep of the SS’s facilities.
- The SS staff are available to assist in explaining operation of items, and can provide any available manuals upon request. However, by taking possession of any item, the Member warrants and represents to the SS that he or she (a) has no mental or physical incapacity that would affect his or her ability to use the item safely , (b) is capable of using the item in a safe and proper manner.
- Only the Member is authorized to use the SS’s items. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person unless by the express permission of the SS.
- Reservations should be made online, in person or in written, and if the Member changes their mind, they should give the SS as much notice as possible.
- All items will be lent for a period that works on a weekly basis and are to be returned to the SS on or before their return date deadline. Items may only be returned during the SS opening hours. Late fines will be levied for each item kept past the loan period. All fines and fees must be paid in full before Members can borrow additional items.
- All items are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All items must be returned clean.
- The Member agrees to pay for the loss of or any item. The Member further agrees to accept SS staff’s assessment of the condition of returned items and staff’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, delinquency and/or loss of items in part or in total.
- Members may renew each item for a second period if (a) the Member contacts the SS by the day the item is due to be returned, and (b) no other Member has reserved the item. In an effort to maximize availability of items, the SS reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals.
- The Member agrees that SS is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed items. Each time you take an item out, you must check it visually before you take it, and make other checks for any faults that you may be able to identify before using it. The Member agrees that if any borrowed item becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the item and notify SS on return. SS will only be liable to you for damage caused by our negligence in failing to tell you about a known fault. We will not be liable for faults of which we are not aware of.
- When borrowing electrical equipment, the Member must check the visible wires and plug for any damage before use. The Member must take ALL necessary precautions when using the borrowed item. Personal Protective Equipment should be worn where appropriate, including but not limited to, eye protection, ear protection, gloves, appropriate footwear, etc.
- If one Member borrows an item and with the SS’s agreement pass it on to another Borrower before it is returned to SS and booked in, the first Member remains liable to the SS for the return and condition of the object until it is returned to the SS. If a Member collects an item from another Borrower with SS’s agreement, that loan will also be on the terms of this Agreement.
- The Member understands and accepts that in an effort to maximize availability of items to all Members, the SS send emails as a reminder when borrowed items’ return dates are approaching. When items are not returned by the designated due date, the SS will issue an overdue notice by phone call, email, or letter. If the items are not returned after the notice has been sent, appropriate steps will be taken to retrieve them, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing additional items.
- The signing Member affirms that the information provided on the Membership Application is current, true, and correct. He or she understands that this information may be subject to verification.
- The signing Member further states that he or she has read and fully understands the rules and regulations of the SS, and he or she understands that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of their borrowing privileges and/or legal action against them. The signing Member has read and signed a Waiver and Indemnification Form, relinquishing any and all claims against the SS.
Liability Waiver and Indemnification Form
The items in our collection are for the use of the SS members. Out of respect for future users, please take care of the items you borrow and report any damage to the SS team immediately. Though Members are responsible for damage that they have caused, we promise not to be angry. If you feel compelled to return them in better condition than when you borrowed them, that would be highly appreciated!
Your Statements – READ THIS CAREFULLY EVERY TIME YOU BORROW ANYTHING
I am capable and experienced in using the items I am borrowing. I will use the items I am borrowing in a safe and proper manner. I am aware that the SS, its partners, directors, officers, members, volunteers and employees claim no expertise and make no representation concerning the fitness of any item for any particular use.
I, do hereby for myself, on behalf of my heirs, successors, and assigns, in consideration of being permitted to borrow various items, waive any and all claims against the SS, its officers, agents, volunteers and employees for any injury or injuries of any nature that I may suffer or incur in the use of the item that I am borrowing from the SS except those caused by a defect known to the SS and not made known to me.
I agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless the SS, its officers, agents, volunteers and employees from any and all liability, loss, claims, and demands, actions or causes of action for the death or injury to any persons and for any property damage suffered or incurred by any person which arises or may arise or be occasioned in any way from the use or possession of items I am borrowing from the SS.
I have read and fully understand and agree to the SS’s Members’ Agreement and Items Policy, and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges and/or legal action against me.
I affirm that the information that I have provided on the Membership Application Form is current, true, and correct. I understand that this information may be subject to verification.
SHORT: I’m responsible for how I use what I borrow, and I won’t blame the AWESOME team behind the Share Shed for what I do with the items.